Friday, April 24, 2009

The Tumble Gym

Wednesday night I was over at Autumn's and suddenly the craving to jump on tramplines and do flips arose in several of the people that were over. I personally don't have a lot of experience in doing flips unless it's under water, nor much in jumping on trampolines, since I've only done it a few times. I'm also definitely not a gymnast. I can't even do a cartwheel.
We decided against the popular trampoline place Jump On It and opted for Progressive Power Tumble because it was both cheaper and closer. Anyway, because people started falling asleep shortly after we decided to go on Wednesday night, we didn't end up going and decided to go yesterday instead. Unfortunately, while we had planned on at least ten people going, only four actually were able to make it Thursday night at 10:30, but it turned out to be better with less people anyway, because we didn't have to share (there were other people in the gym with us, but still). So we went and jumped on the trampolines and dove through rings and swung on the rope into the foam pit and tried our best to get out without getting sucked deeper into the depths. Let me tell you, that pit did not want to let you out.
After jumping and diving for a while we discovered an empty back room with a bungee harness in it. So we went up to the front desk and asked if we could use it and they said Sure! So we went back there and my companions all got hooked up and did flips and fancy things, and then it was my turn and I was terrified, but knew I'd never forgive myself if I passed up the opportunity to fly. So they hooked me up and I flew! It was almost like the doorway jumping things for babies.
These pictures are obviously not ours. None of us had a camera.
I jumped and bounced and they slingshotted me across the room and I pretended I was Superman and it was amazing. The harness hurt really, really bad though, so none of us used it for very long, and we moved on to the Sumo Suits after a few minutes. We sumoed for a while and that was hysterical, and then my companions moved on to doing flips and cartwheels again and I just stood around wishing I was more flexible and significantly braver.
All in all: great fun! I think it's fantastic that they allow just anybody to come there and play around for a while. It's a great workout and a great way to let adults play, because I don't think adults do enough playing nowadays. It was $6 for an hour and a half (per person).Next time I want to go to Jump On It-- though it is more expensive ($8/hr) and further away (in Lindon)-- to compare, and also because there are more than two trampolines, which I thought a grave oversight. But then again, it is a tumble gym, and not a trampoline house.