Wednesday, April 1, 2009

There's Gold in Them Hills

And I'm finally mining some. Okay, that's a weird analogy, but I'm listening to that song right now by Ron Sexmith, so it seemed fitting. Anyway, what is this gold I'm finally mining? I moved out to Utah at the end of December with the intention of attending culinary school in the fall. After much of what can only be described as a less serious kind of soul searching, I didn't really have a reason to be here. But my life is getting all sorted out now (the gold, for those who didn't catch it).
Today was my first day at my new job. I'm working at BYU Independent Study in Materials Processing. Basically I'll be sending mail out. So far it's pretty boring because I just watch people work in a department that isn't my own (the idea of this "training" is that I can get to understand how the other departments work...whatever, just train me in my job and I'm good to go). But once things get going, it should be a pretty good job. I'm working about 20 hours a week until Spring Term starts, when I'll work like...more than that. I get paid $7.50 an hour. I'm pretty excited about that.
Starting in Spring Term, which begins end of April, I'll be taking the Advanced SCUBA course through BYU. I'm pretty excited about this too, since this is like an actual, physical skill I'm learning. Kind of. Anyway. The point is, I want to go on to Instructor/Rescue/whatever status so I can teach it if I need/want to. Which I kind of do. Anyway, then in Summer term I'll be taking a Greek and Roman Mythology class, as well as a Book of Mormon course with Ian! I'm so glad he's coming out here while I'm still here, and that we get to take a class together. It's going to be so much fun.
On April 27th I'm moving out of this apartment! I'm also pretty excited about this. First of all, I'm moving to a house, which is really awesome in my book. And it has wood floors. What I hate most about where I'm living now is that it's on the third floor. It's hard enough to get up all the stairs without dying from exhaustion without adding the super-heat of summer to the equation. I'll miss my roommates a little, but we never got very close, something I think we all regret. At least I do. Anyway, I'm super excited about the house. It's blue.
Probably the thing I'm most excited for is that I'm moving to Oahu to attend BYU Hawaii in the fall!!! This probably isn't news to any of you, but I am SO incredibly excited it's not even funny. Well maybe it is. I'll be majoring in Hawaiian Studies, which is like History/Culture/stuff. Surfing and mastering the Outrigger canoe are part of the curriculum for the major. Now how sweet is that? Anyway, I'll be staying in a house (it's yellow! and looks like it has a dirt driveway, which I think is really cool) with three other girls. If you look up that address on Google Maps, you can see how close it is to the ocean and the mountains and campus and everything else. Gah! I can't wait. I hope this is something that will make me happy, if not just long enough to graduate, since right now in that department I'm a little behind.
Life is becoming fun, especially since I'm finally establishing myself. I have a stack of 8 books to read (for now!) and watch a lot of movies. I love it all right now. I love these moments when I feel so great.
Okay, and I just really think this is funny:

2 comments:

Jared and Megan said...

Kermit.
I'm glad you're happy. I liked the video, it made me lol.

HotFudgeNubbins said...

hi. i was doing a blog search on Pedros Tacos and saw your post on the fallbrook location...and read some more on your blog.
congrats on moving to hawaii! we were there in sept. and there is a GREAT shrimp truck called giovannis on the north shore.if your interested...there are pictures on my blog