Thursday, April 9, 2009

Comments Are Appreciated

Put them in this box:

In case you can't read that, it says "Comment Box"
Aside from the incredible amount of repition my job requires, there is rarely a dull moment (except for moments like these when all the work is done, I have an hour left in my shift, I've just finished my book, and I have no new emails). Some rather interesting things occur.
Yesterday we took another girl with us on our rounds, and she needed to make a stop at the Press Building. The Press Building is basically a paper manual factory. I think the proper term for this particular building is Cougar Press or something. Anyway, I've never seen anything like it in real life. It was incredibly loud with the whirring and clunking and (almost) screaming of machinery. I wouldn't want to work there. Although all the workers get to wear whatever they want, they also have to deal with the noise (everyone had either earplugs or headphones in) and the permeating dustiness probably resultant from paper being cut in massive quantities. But it was interesting to watch the machinery go at it, and I saw Preach My Gospel manuals being made, which was interesting.
Today (actually, only about twenty minutes ago) a girl from Customer Service came in for help finding a student's CD. Guess who this student with the missing CD was? Bristol Palin, daughter of Sarah Palin. You all know who Sarah Palin is. It was only an interesting situation because of who the student was, and because no matter how hard we looked we couldn't find the CD, but in any case, it was interesting to learn what kind of people enroll in BYU Independent Study. Only yesterday I packaged a lesson for someone who lives in Fallbrook (not necessarily interesting, but gives me a sense of hometown pride). There are prisoners, military, child prodigies graduating at the age of 12 (I haven't seen any, but I'm sure there are), people in random foreign countries, and also yesterday we mailed something to Harrison Ford. Of course, this Harrison Ford was enrolled in High School English and living in rural Alaska, but still...

4 comments:

LP said...

It sounds kind of like a job I once had: the repetition, the screaming presses, and the famous names: I don't remember many of them, but I do recall proofing checks for the composer Michel Legrand. The difference is that, where I used to work, there was always a dull moment. Always. always...

Shannon said...

what job was this?

Jared and Megan said...

sounds interesting enough! I'm glad you're liking the job. your seeing places and names in addresses reminds me of when I worked at the bookstore and we'd ship books to Australia, Japan, England... I talked to one guy from Canada on the phone and talked to people in England and Italy on emails. I remember we sent a couple of huge boxes with this extremely detailed and illustrated set of bird encyclopedias to Italy. I always wanted to deliver some of these books in person just so I could see who was ordering them. And also see the places they were going. =) Random reminiscing, sorry...

LP said...

When I worked at Deluxe check printers in Cupertino, of all places. (I say that because of the dastardly 'Cupertino Effect'.)