Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pure of Heart?

I finally figured out how to navigate Pottermore (thank you, kind Adrien).  Here are the nerdy deets, if you care:  I got a tawny owl as my pet and my wand is 13 3/4 inches, sycamore with unicorn hair, and slightly springy.  My house...is Hufflepuff.

Try to imagine one of those toys where a segmented animal is held together by a tight string, and when you push the button it collapses.  Here, I drew a picture for you to demonstrate:

Yeah, that was me when I read I was in Hufflepuff.  And there was some groaning involved.

Okay, here's the real nerdy-time stuff, so just tune out for a bit if you don't care.  I always imagined myself as a Ravenclaw.  Because maybe I'm smart (although if I reread that last post, I'll realize I had it coming).  Slytherin, whatever.  At least I could be a Gryffindor, because sometimes I'm brave.  But Hufflepuff?  Really, Hufflepuff??!?  Snippets of reassurance came from Adrien, who was sitting by me when I found out, and from the Welcome Letter from the Hufflepuff welcome-letter-writer (I forget who, whatever).

"...Hufflepuff is certainly the least boastful house, but we’ve produced just as many brilliant witches and wizards as any other..."

"...But you're so pure of heart!"

"...Just because we don’t shout about it, we don’t get the credit we deserve..."

"...And the common room is so sunny!"

Yeah, okay.

I was still moping about it when Sam came to pick me up from work a bit later.  I got into the car, frowning.  I felt a bit like Calvin (in Calvin & Hobbes of course) when the transmogrifier breaks after he's been turned into an owl.
Transmogrifier broken :(
Sam told me something important about the car, and then I broke the news to him.

"I have something to tell you."  Sigh.  "I'm a hufflepuff."

"What, on Pottermore?"

"Yeah."

"What's so bad about that?"

"Well I just always thought I would be in Ravenclaw.  I mean, I want to be smart, and I want to be brave."

"You are those things, you're just more humble about it.  Like almost annoyingly sometimes."  Gee thanks, husband.  "And anyway, if you don't like it, you can just sign in with a different email and do it again."

"Yeah, but that's dishonest and it kind of ruins the spirit of the thing."

"SEE??"

"Okay fine.  I'm a Hufflepuff."

"When we get home I'll sign up too so you can feel better."

When we got home he was sorted into Gryffindor.  And proceeded to get probably 15 chapters farther than me more than twice as fast.  I feel MUCH better.

But hey, I'm pure of heart!  And humble.  And my common room is sunnier than yours.
I can humble the heck out of all of you.

3 comments:

LP said...

I say do it again. It'd be like telling the sorting hat where you want to be. Input is allowed; HP showed us that.

LP said...

PS What a great drawing of the little giraffe toy! Which Hogwarts house is known for artistic ability?

Megan said...

You made me laugh with your parting line. :D

I think that's the the thing though... I believe it was Dumbledore who said something about the students letting their houses rule their view of themselves (and consequently, their behavior) too much and he wanted more school unity and for everyone to get along.

That said, hufflepuff is a friggin noble house and you've always enjoyed a room with good lighting.

I think Adrien needs to help me figure it out too.... I've been feeling too intimidated.