Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'll Be Gone 500 Miles When the Day Is Done

Monday morning Dad and I left in the loaded pickup to make one of his delivery trips up north. I came along mostly so I could see family I haven't in a very long time and so I could see some of San Fransisco, which I haven't seen for many a-year. This is going to be a picture blog, so hold tight...
This is the coast somewhere near Santa Barbara. I really love this area. If I had no issue of money or anything, I'd live in Santa Barbara. It's so beautiful there. This picture is blurry because it was taken on full zoom from a moving truck through the glass.
The glare on some of these makes me sad. This is Lake Cachuma (no clue what it's called, really) where Dad used to go as a kid for some camping.
Near Santa Ynez, near the stop for our first delivery.
This blurry picture taken from the freeway between tons of other trees and buildings of a Jubaea in San Jose shows the palm tree that Dad collected the seeds that gave him his very first palm trees decades ago. (Talk about awkward sentences...)
Monday night we stayed with Aunt Carol. Nora and three of her friends from the conservation group she spent all summer with took me to a vegetarian Indian/Pakistani restaurant at like 10 o'clock that night. The food was a little spicy but SO GOOD. I had onion naan and samosa (sp?) with lentils, peas, and some other stuff in it. It was so very tasty. Then we walked home the long way and saw this cafe thing across the street. They all thought it was hilarious because in the group all they had as eating utensils was a spork with a knife on the other end. Very impractical. I took a picture of it because they all were. Anyway, Nora and I talked the whole way there and the whole way back. It was lots of fun and I'm really glad I could talk to her since I haven't seen her in forever and I can't recall ever really getting to know her. It was fun.
The next day Dad and I went to get Grandma then made off to Fisherman's Wharf, where I'd decided I wanted to spend the day. If you know me, you know that two things I absolutely love are boats and taking pictures. I took bunches of photos, but I had to pick a few descriptive favorites. If you really, really want to see the rest, I think I'll be putting them in a folder on my 'space, so you can see them when they're up.
An awesome little sail boat that made for a perfect picture...

The Balclutha, longer and taller than the Star of India and in the same class as the Falls of Clyde. This is where we spent most of our time.

View of the Balclutha's decks from the quarter deck (terminology I got from Master and Commander so it might not be right. I know the top deck on the other side is the Poop Deck...is it the same on the wheel side?).
Dad and Grandma on the ferry Eureka. Can you believe she just had her 94th birthday? It's crazy. She's doing great even. Je suis proud of her for making it so far in life.
Skyline from the Balclutha's prow
A seagull...
My pirate friend...
An artsy picture of the rigging...
Our view from the restaurant where we had lunch. The food was nasty, but sort of upscale. I tried caviar for the first time and it was so incredibly GROSS. Plus the idea of eating fish eggs was a little unnerving, and I sure won't do it again. You can see the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance there...
After going to Linden that night to stay with Aunt Judy & Uncle Dick and moving off with our last two deliveries, I decided that I needed to take some more pictures. Gee that sentence was awkward, but I think I'm okay with that. Anyway, here's Pyramid (?) Lake...
Six flags! Everybody needs to ride the Superman ride. It's completely amazing.
Traffic through Los Angeles...blah. It took forEVER.
Dad decided he'd treat us to ice cream since traffic was so bad. It worked out perfectly since traffic had pretty much dissipated by the time we got back on the freeway. Here is dad enjoying his cone...
And me very pleased with my Gold Medal Ribbon shake and the lack of traffic. Almost home!
Pretty soon I was very restless and couldn't wait to get home already. The sun was starting to go down...
The fog was rolling in (or is it haze?)
The granite outcrops were weathering faster than we could drive, really.
And a HOUSE was in the middle of the street! Gah! Hindering me from my return!
Finally, home at last. I made Dad stop at the top of the hill before you go down to the house so I could take this picture. Boo for telephone poles.
Home again, home again, jiggidy jig.

2 comments:

Adrien said...

so are these pictures from that camera i gave you or a different one? if they're from the one i gave you...i don't remember it taking this good of pictures. hmm. i love the boat pictures, wish i could have gone to san francisco too! i'm glad you had fun.

Jared and Megan said...

ditto sarsaparilla. looks like fun, jiggidy jog.