Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Wedding

The last few months have been a bit of a whirlwind!  I want to recap a bit in separate posts though.

At the beginning of May, we went to Houston for Rachel & Josh's wedding.  Aside from the fun parts, it was quite the stressful trip, unfortunately.  On the way to the airport, early in the morning, through windy roads in Sam's parents' suburban (which is about as smooth a ride as a Conastoga wagon on a good day), Rosalind got really car sick.  Huzzah.  It was so much fun to clean up on the side of the freeway.  We also got stopped at security in the airport because we were smuggling cocaine in Remy's tub of formula (wait, did I say that out loud?).  There were a few other snafus that didn't set up the day to be a great one, but the actual plane ride went very well.  Sam sat with Ros and Remy sat with Sam's mom, so I was able to "relax" for the duration of the flight.  Of course, my anxiety has gone through the roof lately, so every bump of turbulence I found myself planning how to save my children from a fiery death.  Please note I never came up with a good plan, and we all died in every scenario.
Happy to be here
Very happy to be here

Regardless, we got to Houston just fine, and after picking up the rental cars, booked it over to Pappasito's for a quick (late) lunch of amazing fajitas, then half of us went to the wedding rehearsal and the rest of us checked into our hotel.

Later that evening, we took the kids to a friend of the Wasden's who had agreed to watch the kids for a bit while the adults went to the rehearsal dinner. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it had funky eyeball mirrors in the bathrooms and AMAZING salads!! Thanks, Rachel and Josh. Excellent choice :)
I see what you did there

Late late that night we went back to pick up the kids. It was dark and I could hear crickets and strangely it smelled almost exactly like Fallbrook does at night (this is relevant for the future).

Surprisingly, the kids slept really well in the hotel room with us that night, though the fact that they were already asleep when they got there probably has something to do with it.

The next day was wedding prep with henna, but since most of us weren't involved in that, we decided to head to NASA to check it out.  It was very, very cool.  I loved the Saturn V rocket and seeing the model of the International Space Station where they were testing things.  It was just like in The Martian.  I wish we'd had time to see CapCom, but I suppose there's always a next time.
This is space!
A cool thingy.  I am not a space race history pro.
The gang.  Everyone else was doing henna or other important things.

That night Sam went to a wedding reception for a different wedding and I stayed at the hotel trying to get the kids to sleep.  Sam didn't get home til 11pm and I hadn't eaten and everyone was on edge and that was not a fun part.  Sam and I were able to go and grab me a late meal at IHOP (what else is open that late?) and we had a very friendly and very Southern waiter.  It was kind of fun to interact with someone like that (this is also relevant).  Anyway, Sam told me that at the reception he had talked to a lady he knew growing up who encouraged him to apply for a position as a Special Ed Teacher at the high school where Sam graduated in Sugar Land, so we talked about that possibility.  I honestly thought it didn't sound very likely that he had that great of a chance at that school, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

The next day was the wedding and it was SO MUCH FUN. Huge kudos to Rachel and Josh for planning such an amazing day! The food was delicious (they even had options for the kids!), the venue was gorgeous, and everyone's clothing was so beautiful. We had so much fun dancing and chatting and everything.
Waiting for the ceremony to start
The flower girls talking to Aunt Cami
Rachel's hands.  All the heart eyes.
My cool garb
Us with Rachel & Josh
The girls (minus Ros) after the wedding
The whole fam!

After the wedding, we changed out of our wedding clothes and went to dinner at Lupe Tortilla in Sugar Land for more amazing fajitas. There was an incredibly long wait, and a bit of ensuing frustration we will skip over, but it was very tasty.

Early the next morning, we headed back to the airport and made our way back to Utah (nobody got carsick this time, thank goodness). I was relieved to be home, the weekend had its ups and downs. But there were those moments that enticed me that Houston was not as mysterious and unknowable as I once thought it was. And that was the beginning...

1 comment:

LP said...

I love the outfits and the henna hands. Very cool. Megan does, too.